Support for balance sheet accounts?

Hi, a new cashculator user here, so sorry if this has been already covered before elsewhere.

Currently the app seems to be focused on expense & income accounts. Do you have any plans to introduce support for assets & liabilities accounts, and for transfers between these accounts?

For example, do you plan supporting transactions such as “transfer $1000 from by savings account A in my bank to stock A, plus assume 3% growth of this stock per annum”, and generating balance sheet reports where different asset accounts could be listed?

Hi and welcome.

Cashculator doesn’t have the notion of accounts. This is on purpose, to make things simpler by reducing one level of organizational hierarchy.
You can create a category or category group (say, in income) to represent your saving accounts, probably best to do it income.
Then you can add a transaction to the category that represents moving money into it.
We do plan to support repeating transactions that will have a repeating growth interval (say 3% growth every year). It’s already implemented in the data model but not in the UI yet.

Cashculator is not intended to be an accounting application, so balance sheets, like in accounting software, is not currently planned.
We do plan to have reports that show amounts by category, so or category group, this can be close approximation.
Going forward, we’ll see where the customer sentiment grows and try to adapt the application to support more use-cases. But we try to not over-complicate the application and not make it just another accounting application. We don’t try to compete with QuickBooks or the like.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks, that clarifies your plans. Modeling assets as incomes will probably lead to confusing reports, but I guess that’s expected since your focus is more on the income/expence balance than asset management side of things. Anyway, thanks for keeping the indie Mac software flag high :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to mention, but I remember that some people use Scenarios as accounts.
Since scenarios have their own sets of income/expenses, you could use them to separate accounts, instead (or in addition) of using them as “what-if” scenarios.