Understanding Top-Level Income/Expense Categories

Just wondering what Top-Level Income/Expense Categories are for?

It appears that I can create them and they appear to align with Income/Expense Groups, at least from a UI Layout perspective just without Bold text.

I can assign an expense value to a Top-Level Category, so I’m assuming that they are not for grouping. I can select to Add Category Inside but that doesn’t seems to work right now. So just curious

Top-level categories are categories that do not belong to a group, nor can they have their own group. They are like categories in Cashculator 1 - standalone categories. You can create a table without grouping at all, just using top-level categories. Or if you thought that you needed a category but it only appears to have one sub-category, then there’s no need to create a group for that.

Does it answer your question?

Your explanation makes sense.

Maybe you had a typo?

I wonder if it wouldn’t be cleaner/clearer to just call it a Category and allow Categories to be promoted to outside a group, or dragged and dropped to outside a group there by allowing them to be either be included in a grouped summary, or stand alone at the top level so to speak. I’m only saying this as the name in the menu is not intuitive, and there is a right click menu item that allows the user to Add Category Inside

This is certainly a typo. Looks like it misses a “do not”. Somehow I often forget to type the negations :slight_smile: I’ll correct this.

Maybe the menu can be simplified. We’ll take another look at this. Thank you.

I had a few minutes to have a play around and I just realised that you can drag and drop categories to the top level. I now understand this feature a bit more. I think what threw me was the Add Category Inside menu item for existing top level categories.

Thanks for the quick replies @Jacob

1 Like