Latest Cashculator 2 Beta

The top link works now as well.

Glad to hear that. It’s both a lesson for me but also means that the connection was hijacked on your end and redirected to some other downloaded. There’s some chance that you have some bad actor on your Mac but a bigger chance that it was done somehow on the internet itself, not sure. But that would explain why there was a totally different download attempt on your Mac. I would check, in your case, and see if other HTTP (not HTTPS) downloads from your Mac also suffer from this or if this was only with our server.

This is scary! Good luck @DementedCat

If I copy the new link and remove the “s” it works fine now.

Ok, good to know as well. I guess we’ll not know now why it happened. In any case, it’s always better to have an https link. So I’ll be sure to use one in the future. Our download server handle both HTTP and HTTPS for historical reasons so no reason not to use the more secure version for new links. Thank you.

Beta 2 is now released. Discuss and download from Cashculator 2 beta 2 released

Hey @Jacob

just a drive by comment, the reason the person is getting SSL certificates is because you are serving the old ISRG Root X1 certificate on that site. That one is cross-signed with DST Root CA X3 which has expired. Most browsers handle this fine because there is a valid path to ISRG Root X1 if the client ignores the chain you send. But apparently not all browsers and many command line tools like curl does not.

You can view the paths here SSL Server Test: dl.apparentsoft.com (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

and fix the issue by not sending the old cross signed root.

Have a good day.

Thank you for the note, I’ll take a look at that. I’m not sure why it sends two certificate paths.
That being said, the original problem was, if I understand correctly, that the download link was HTTP and not HTTPS, which of course caused more problems.

Very nice, very pleasant and very well thought design. I like the change very much!

Some issues though:

• Crashes always on import from Calculator 1 (database is not in default location and has non-english letters in it)
  • Often crashes randomly on any operation, I could not find any pattern: it crashes when adding a category, when adding expenses, when changing icons, when switching from income to expenses, just any time randomly.
  • Autosave, please! I do not want Command-S, I want type the number and have it autosaved at once! Please!!! :slight_smile:
  • I cannot set past months to 1. I do not need 2, I always had one. Why can’t I have one? :thinking:
  • Font is quite small to my vision, it would be nice to have an option to increase it
  • Past/future settings are not saved. Cashculator always starts with 6 months in the past.

macOS Big Sur, Intel Macbook Pro, if it makes a difference.

Hi. Thank you for the details. Are you using beta 4? I wonder if your crashes are related to the import from version 1. If you database of Cashculator 1 crashes on import, would you be willing to share it so that I could test? We had a case that crashed in beta 3 that I quickly fixed in a second silent beta 3 update.

Hi. I am sure I have beta 4. About box says “Version 1.93 (1398)” :thinking:

I wonder if your crashes are related to the import from version 1

Since I was not able to import anything from version 1, I created a new fresh database.

If you database of Cashculator 1 crashes on import, would you be willing to share it so that I could test?

Yes, I can send you a dropbox link to download v1 database but privately (not sure how to do it though). The file is 1.1M.

I checked macOS crash reports folder, nothing there unfortunately.

1 Like

By the way, why doesn’t version 2 open the last file on start?

In System Preferences, in General, what do you see in the highlighted checkbox in my screenshot? This is a system-wide setting that may affect this behaviour.

You can either send me a message through this forum (click on my name, there’s a blue Message button in the top-right of the popup) or email support@apparentsoft.com.

Yes, “Close windows” is checked on my machine. But it does not prevent TextMate or Sublime Text, for example, from re-opening files on start.

TextMate and Sublime might not be standard in that sense. Especially Sublime Text as it’s a cross-platform app. Cashculator here behaves according to your system-wide choice, so I don’t think it’s a bug.

I fixed the crash on import that happened with your database. Thank you for sending it to me.
Autosave is related to system settings, should be unchecked like in my example:

Perhaps we could force this behaviour but for now, going with the system setting should be fine, I think.

What happens when you try to set part months to 1? I can do this here.

It shows one month but next time when I start the app, it is six months again.

It’s probably related to that setting where your document is not saved automatically and the window is closed. Otherwise, it should remember. Does it remember on which screen you were when you reopen? Cashculator tries to remember the screen, the time scale (monthly, weekly), horizon, Scenario sidebar setting (open/closed) etc. But these settings are not saved in the document, instead they are saved in Window-save state, so if you close the window before quitting, maybe it’s not getting saved. I’ll need to check how it behaves in these different modes.

No, it always opens in “Expenses” view, first scenario.

I do not think this all should be bound to that system option. People may want to turn it off (for certain privacy reasons, for example) but still have convenience of getting to the environment where they left. At least this is how typically works with most apps that I have. Usually apps have their own option to re-open previous files on startup and autosave. I think this really should be app-dependent. I would not like my textedit or my photoshop to open the same documents every time but I would prefer cashculator and phpstorm to do it. This depends a lot on workflow of each user. Here user’s convenience should have higher priority than just following some generic recommendations from Apple. Those recommendations are just another person’s opinion, which is not necessarily right in all cases.

Imagine if Adobe did everything as Apple says. I do not think that would make Photoshop or Lightroom as popular as they are. Apple had their own apps for drawing and raw photo editing. Where they are? Gone. Why? Because Adobe’s were better, more user friendly and more convenient. As much as I am Apple fan, I did not really use Aperture for photos and I do not use their Photos app because Photoshop and Lightroom are still better. They do not work according to Apple guidelines but they work as users want it. That’s the key: “doing it right” is not always better than “doing what users want”.

1 Like