Latest Cashculator 2 Beta

Yes, hiding categories would be a good addition. We may already have it on the list for the future. I’ll add your vote.

As for the reports, the full list is in the regular income and expenses screens.
I’d like to understand why is it important to you to see the full list in the income/expenses report (I assume this is what you meant, and I assume it’s about the tables there).

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for the update. I uploaded my Cashculator 1 Database file and the most recent Crash Report to dropbox for you to take a look at. Not sure if you then need to see my Cashculator 2.

Oh, and my other critique is that with Cashculator 1, I really liked the colors of the icons and the graph represented in “reconcile”. It was nicely laid out and wondering why you changed that.

Thanks-
Rich

Hi Rich,

We thought that having the income / expenses table (and they’re editable) in the Reconciliation screen is better suited for its purpose, i.e. making changes to these tables if anything doesn’t line up.
The balance and Income/Expenses graphs are now available in Reports (which were not a thing in version 1).
As for the icons, do you mean the colorful icons in the Reconciliation table?
Well, we indeed miss the icons in v2. Not sure if they’re needed. In general, though, Mac design has moved to more monochrome icons, which work well in dark and light mode, as opposed to the more colorful ones from the design language of 10 years ago.

One more thing, sorry. Just noticing a lot of small things as I play around with it. In Cashculator 1, you can just tap on a box and change the number in the box to anything you need to or delete it. On Cashculator 2, you can no longer do that, you have to open up the box and you can’t put in 0 or delete the number, you have to put in the exact amount with a minus next to it to get it to zero, much less user friendly. My 2 cents. Thanks.

OK, this needs some explanation and needs to be made clearer in the app somehow, perhaps.
Cashculator 2 actually has real multiple transactions for each cell (instead of having one or a test that’s calculated as multiple transactions). But you can see them all and edit. When you enter a negative amount, this creates a new transaction.
You can press Space bar when on a cell, or right click it, or click the edit/quicklook button on the bottom (the eye icon) to see existing transactions and to either edit or delete them.

I see that it’s not well discoverable. We need to address this somehow. Maybe have a help popup that explains this after the first transaction is entered.

There’s a very quick guide to Cashculator 2 here: Quick guide to Cashculator 2

Thank you for sending these.
I’ve fixed a crash report that may be related but I’m not sure.

I should’ve also fixed two problems that happened with import from your database, thank you for send it, it was very helpful.
It looked pretty identical to me now between v1 and v2, at least for the actuals.

Please download this build and let me know if it fixes that problems that you were experiencing with import from v1 and the crashes:
https://dl.apparentsoft.com/beta/Cashculator_for_Rich.zip

Cashculator beta 8 is released: Cashculator beta 8

Hi Jacob,

Thank you again for your help. I need it once again. For some reason the Cashculator app on my desktop no longer is accessing my database. All I get now is just the tutorial blank, mine is gone and there isn’t any backup either, I’m not really sure what happened. I had sent you my database file at one point in our exchange so you could take a look. Do you happen to still have it or know where Cashculator backs up its files? I’m really frustrated that it could be gone. If you have that database file, could please send it to me. Thank you.
Rich

I sent you a private message.

Hello
Really enjoying the APP :slight_smile:
I currently miss:

• export functionality (Excel or CSV)
  • import from Excel or CSV using the same export format as mentioned above
  • ability to change the graph colors (I’m color-blind)
  • and a way to separate scenarios for expenses from incomes, with a way to combine an expense scenario with an income scenario - purpose: plan for retirement and play with different date scenarios - expenses are always the same or similar, but income scenarios can vary vastly…

Thanks!
KR
Rodolphe

Export and also import would be highly appreciated. So there would be a way to perhaps take notes on the mobile and import them as .csv into Cashculator

What do you mean by “notes”? How would you take them?

For example in Tap Forms. This is a little database app for iOS and MacOS as well. You can export data as .csv from there. So if you structured the fields accordingly in Tap Forms, an import in Cashculator could work. Just as an idea…

I see. In general, we don’t exclude building a companion iPhone app for some stuff, like importing transactions. A CSV entry could be an interim solution, but because CSVs are so unstructured, it’s a question of how to make it so that it’s useful for many people. Like, if we were to import CSV, we’d probably first look at how banks output their CSVs for online download and work towards that feature, as it’s probably helpful to a wider range or customers. Of course, with TapForms being more flexible, you could probably build it in that way as well.

1 Like

With Tap Forms, I am quite free to however the csv should look like. But if you want to reach as many people as possible, you‘d perhaps need a more generic approach, where the fields of the csv file could be somehow matched to the fields needed in Cashculator.

1 Like

A companion iphone app would be a game changer. I need to enter expenses when they happen for many reasons:

1. If I enter them all at the end of the day or the next day, I can’t stop myself from spending too much… it is already too late.

2. the workload builds up, becomes overwhelming, and doesn’t happen.

3. I forget/lose receipts.

This needs to be made possible on mobile. Just the entry of expenses.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for suggesting this.
We were thinking about an iOS companion app with this functionality.

1 Like

Oh… just bought cashculater and was looking at how to add currencies.
I live and work in Japan. I could just pretend like dollars are yen and enter it as if it was all yen (since the conversion rate is always changing I can’t really convert it to dollars)…

BUT all my debt is in the united states in US dollars.

So I would love to be able to add Japanese yen.

IF that is not going to happen soon, what do you suggest I do… should I just forget about my US debt and stick to what I make and spend in yen? or should I try to pretend like all the amounts are actually yen even though it says dollars?

If adding yen is something that could happen, then I suppose I could convert yen to dollars for now?

Hi @jesse.

First of all, thank you for your support of our product. Every customer matters.

Currently, Cashculator doesn’t support setting a specific currency. The idea is that you can choose which currency to use. This is limiting, though, as you noticed, since you need to do the currency conversions yourself.

I want to note that we do plan to introduce multiple currencies in the future. It is on our roadmap. We worked on this even before version 2.0 was released but then went back and decided to keep the app simpler initially, then see how the demand for multiple currencies would be and how to integrate it within the app while trying to keep it easy to use.

One of the other options that you may use for now is to keep another scenario or another document just for the debt account and know that it’s in USD and not in yen. But that would not allow you to combine them into one balance since balances are per scenario and also don’t specify the currency.

I hope this helps you somewhat. If you have additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask.